Sunday 15 November 2015

The Reflective Practitioner

I was very excited to read all about the tasks in the next section of the module. From the age of about 6 I would always document family trips we went on, writing and drawing in detail about our family holidays (my mum still has them all!) As I got older, around 9, I started to write a diary every single night. I did this for many years! At first I would just write an account of the day and the activities I had done. My mum and grandparents would always encourage me to do this saying it was a lovely thing to look back on. And indeed it is! I LOVE reading my old diaries. As my grandpa used to say, your memory can only hold so much. In my teens I started to write more about feelings from the days events or issues that had come up. I continued to write a diary every night when I moved to London at 16. At first, for convenience, I started documents on my laptop but ended up just reverting back to a good old notebook and pen. For me I really prefer to write than type. It feels more real. You can't erase anything without having to scribble it out and make a mess! The busier I started to get the more the diary writing slipped. However, every show contract I did I would always make a book at the end, filled with pictures from the job, and get everyone to write a message inside and a memory. I love looking back at these. When  I went back packing around the world on my own when I was in my early 20s I wrote a diary in every country I went to. There was a lot of travel time between countries....overnight buses and trains.....so plenty of time to reflect. And that's the key isn't it.....TIME. I think it's so important to take the time to reflect on things. The last 3 years I haven't written any form of diary blaming "I don't have enough time" for this. But actually, self reflection is so important....whatever career you have. I am definitely someone who doesn't pore their heart out easily and definitely keeps a lot in emotionally trying to "be strong and keep it together" However, as we all know, this is not the answer. My friend, who is a child psychologist, was telling me that journals and diaries are key for a lot of children's development and recovery. I am actually really grateful that for this module I will HAVE to start writing a journal again. I am excited for what it will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment