Tuesday 1 December 2015

My critical reflection

I have found it interesting to read about all the different methods and existing practices for the reflective process. These simple tools will really help me with issues that come up at work. I was obviously reflecting in my own way before but now this gives me a clearer picture of how to resolve a problem. It's a fantastic guide to help even the smallest of issues. I was interested to also read other peoples blogs and found the spiral steps of Kurt Lewin extremely interesting as a teacher. The PLAN, ACT, OBSERVE, REFLECT is what I do daily. I plan my lessons, act out these plans, observe how it went and reflect on what went well and what could be improved for next time. I always question why something didn't work. I always tailor my classes to the children in them....even if I'm teaching the same course to the same age, they are all so different in personality, class dynamics and learning style. There is of course arguments against all the practices I have mentioned in my blog. Many say Kolb's methods are now out dated in our digital world. And that we work more creatively when in a team instead of individually. Another major critique is that the cycle could be performed in any order, stages can be bypassed or even repeated. In my opinion, I believe that looking into all methods can only benefit your overall judgement. Isn't is about picking and choosing what suits you best? Isn't reflection about finding the tools that work best for you? What get you the best results? We can use many existing practices and tools but it's also important to do what is right for you. I've learnt that at my work we definitely don't do any team reflection. Maybe this is something I could introduce at a meeting. We are a small team and I think it would be a valuable tool. I feel this task has been extremely useful for personal situations and also work related issues.


No comments:

Post a Comment