Sunday 6 December 2015

Professional networks

When I was actively performing around the age of 18-25 I had a abundance of networks. I completely relied on my professional networks to keep up to date with upcoming opportunities. I have always maintained that you can not solely rely on your agent. I definitely worked as if I didn't have an agent and saw them as just an added extra. When they called with an audition I saw it as an added bonus. I think I had this drummed into me at college. I trained professionally for 3 years at Laine Theatre Arts. I loved my time there and loved how much they prepared you for the real world of show business and the reality of what was on store. Discipline was extremely importance there and also the mentality that you have to work very hard to achieve success. We were also trained that many people can strike it lucky and get a job but we should thrive to be professional, hard working individuals that are therefore constantly in employment. We were taught that you have to know what is going on. We used to have tests on it! Who is this director? What is the new show coming into this theatre next year? How do I find information about open calls. With all this knowledge and preparation I was networking throughout my 3rd year even before I graduated. The business is a small one I have found. It's easy to get information but you have to out in the work. I'd say my biggest network when I was a performer was my year group at Laines. We definitely weren't the kind of year to not share information to benefit ourselves. Everyone was so encouraging and supportive to one another. Upcoming job opportunities would regularly be shared amongst friends. Facebook is great for their private group tool as well. Laine Theatre Arts has a Facebook group for graduates which is not only helpful but makes you feel like you're not alone in the scary world of show biz. I also subscribed to The Stage newspaper so would get that delivered weekly. And the more contracts I did, the more my network grew. If I'd just done a show with say 15 new people that's 15 new contacts in the business. I ALWAYS saw my career as a business. Again, college drummed this into me! You are the product of your business....you are a self employed business....you have to network, you have to know what's going on! I would go to opening nights, after show parties....I became a great mingler! I joined Twitter mainly to 'follow' theatre companies, theatres and directors so I could see what opportunities were coming up. For example, if a theatre sends out their yearly 'What's on' guide and you see a certain musical will be there say 9 months from now, and you know it's not been cast yet, you know that you need to find out when the auditions will be as they will be soon!
I would also often go to networking events, especially when I moved to Manchester as I didn't really know anyone. I started acting lessons up there....another network of people. I attended a short film festival....another network of people. I went to LA for pilot season....another network of people. I have a massive network of people in the business but I'm not going to lie, I worked hard. I would often finish work and instead of going home to get some sleep before I started work again I would go to an event. It was extremely exhausting! But I thought that's what you had to do if you wanted to be successful. I understand now looking back that I could have done less and been a bit more picky with who I networked with. I old my hands up that most of the time I networked on a purely selfish basis. What can I gain from this? What will it get me? I laugh at my younger self now but see it was all part of the learning curve. As I started to teach more I joined network groups for teacher. Some great ones on Facebook I used were The Hustle (where actually, lots of different kids of things are posted to do with the business) and Drama teacher UK. I honestly would have been lost without social media. From my experience, that is where I got all my information.
However, now I am a teacher in Singapore. A very different lifestyle. I'm also older so feel like I am mentally in a different head space. My main reason for my career change was because I was tired, fed up, bored of that lifestyle of running around like a headless chicken, always worried about when the next contract would come/how long can I make this money last! I am the happiest I have ever been. I currently don't network at all really. Is this because I am in a job that I love and don't feel the need to? Do we only start networking when we need something? I don't think I've ever looked at it like this but I think I am a very selfish networker. Why don't I network now? Why don't I only feel the need to start networking when I have the need for something. I have a wonderful group of friends in Singapore and I live with my long term partner....we moved out here together. So maybe I'm just content and settled. But why can't I still network when I feel this way? Maybe I should join a team or a club. Create a new network of friends over here in Singapore. From a teachers perspective, I am part of certain teacher networks in the UK....for example web sites where other teachers upload good lesson plans etc. I have also, since starting this degree course, joined Linkedin. I am keen to learn more about this tool as from what my partner tells me (he works in international marketing) it's a fantastic way to network. I wonder if it is for teachers though? At work we network with parents I guess....we also network our school and business at events to drum up interest. I feel I naturally network when I meet new people as I'm genuinely interested in what people do and how they got there. I do think though that when it comes to professional networking I need to work a bit harder at giving back. I am going to make a conscious effort to post information and put myself out there without just thinking about my own personal gain. My brother is very successful in his sports marketing career and he has gained so many experiences because he is so good at networking. But actually, he is the least selfish person. He is just genuinely the loveliest guy therefore people are always willing to go out of their way for him as he does for others. Maybe that's what makes a good networker. Someone who is genuinely not in it for themselves. Or maybe a good networker is only in it for themselves! This topic has definitely raised a lot of questions in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment