Tuesday 15 March 2016

My inquiry update

Having spoken to some colleagues this week I am starting to feel really good about my inquiry topic. The aspect that really excites me though is how excited they are about it! I had messages flying back and forth when I first told them about it. They had lots of ideas and contributions to make. This is important to me as the basis of my inquiry is the workplace. If the people in my workplace were not on board or encouraging toward my inquiry it would be very difficult. I met a colleague this week and we had a discussion about certain topics and areas of interest. She was so supportive and insightful as to what she thought would work out here in Singapore.
The main statement I came up with was this: 

Why is using creative drama so effective for social and behavioural issues within children?

The questions of interest I came up with were as follows: 

Why is improvisation an effective tool to challenge your fear of failure?
Why do children find it easier to connect emotionally with a character?
Why is escapism through drama important for the 21st Century internet generation?
How drama creates a safe space for children to express and explore themselves
The life skills creative drama teaches not just for the performer

I looked to some blogs for guidance to see if I was on the right track and also emailed Paula for advise. I found Adesola's blog extremely helpful: 

http://adesolaa.blogspot.sg/2016/02/module-two-on-line-session-good-and.html

Paula advised me that educational research can be based on children but on BAPP it needs to focus on my own practice. What is it about my practice that I want to find out about? I think I need to rethink my title as it doesn't seem to focus in on one specific issue. It is too broad. I'm interested in the social development of children and how drama assists that. I'm interested in how drama therapy is helping many children to deal with social issues. I'm interested in how the arts can benefit everyone whatever your job. I can see how the reflective practices and learning strategies I have researched will help me with my inquiry but I'm struggling to focus on one particular topic and I feel the pressure of time!

1 comment:

  1. Lucy , I think I sent you an email about these good starting points and how the questions might relate to practice - good to do something that is part of your work and will expand your understanding. Now find out how others - practitioners and experts - have said about your topic - use Summon and the Library Subject guides online to help.

    ReplyDelete