Wednesday 13 April 2016

Research on Drama in the curriculum

In the last week it has come to my attention how quickly drama is falling off the national curriculum. I am incredibly passionate about the benefits drama lessons can have on any individual from any background but as I researched I found an abundance of articles informing me about the seriousness of the problem. Below are articles I found particularly helpful in educating me as to what was going on in schools:

http://www.theguardian.com/teacher-network/teacher-blog/2013/jan/07/drama-subject-government-education

http://www.theguardian.com/teacher-network/teacher-blog/2012/oct/30/defence-school-drama-arts-curriculum-ebacc

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/feb/17/arts-and-culture-systematically-removed-from-uk-education-system

I few points of interest came up. As you can see from the dates, this issue has been going on for years, however, seems to be only declining instead of resolving. I reflected on my own practice with regards to 'not enough sign ups' in extra curricular activities. I teach at a drama school but we also do some extra curricular work at nearby schools. In my opinion, parents are sometimes anxious to sign their child up for drama if their child isn't confident. As a parent you would probably limit your child to one or two extra curricular activities depending on how much money you have or how important you feel they are. Many parents probably don't want to pay and send their child to something the child isn't initially keen on. Therefore, drama isn't hitting the key children who need it. Children who suffer with low confidence or low self esteem. Also, I think some parents are too focused on core school subjects. I was also intrigued to read that there seems to be an overwhelming feeling that drama is for middle class, white children. The articles really stress how much drama in schools is struggling and decisions are being made by the powers above who probably have no personal interest in the subject therefore can't see the benefits. I found an article
http://www.kdstudio.com/2012/09/24/six-lessons-learned-in-acting-classes-that-can-benefit-your-entire-life/  I could relate to stating some of the many benefits of drama lessons. Some key points were: 

CONFIDENCE
PUBLIC SPEAKING 
TEAM WORK
POISE
CONVERSATION
UNDERSTANDING VIEWPOINTS

I also think:

SELF ESTEEM
UNDERSTANDING EMOTIONS
ROLE PLAYING REAL LIFE SITUATIONS HELPS SOLVE PROBLEMS
LEARNING TO NOT FEAR FAILURE
LEARNING THE IMPORTANCE OF WORKING HARD
BEING ABLE TO IMPROVISE ON THE SPOT
ACCEPTING OTHERS WHATEVER THEIR BACKGROUND

I could go on and on! 

I found an interesting article AGAINST having drama on the curriculum! Paul Roseby, head of the National Youth Theatre, questions the relevance in the article below claiming GCSE drama is not the right way to teach the subject:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/take-drama-off-gcse-curriculum-insists-national-youth-theatre-boss-9831791.html

I kind of agree with him after reading this week that GCSE drama is no longer going to include theatre trips! Which means a student can pass the exam without ever having seen any live shows! All their research will be from youtube! The article is below:

https://www.thestage.co.uk/news/2016/school-theatre-trips-under-threat-as-gcse-drama-drops-live-show-requirement/








No comments:

Post a Comment